PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2015, 10:10
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Philip,

I don't think that needs to be a concern as work has been undertaken on SLs and the Marines want it so it won't get overlooked. The fact that they weren't done on the recent, successful sea trials will be because they already had enough work to do. SLs have been done, it's now (as you say) refining it for the UK's ships.

I was looking for a vid to show "RVL" (I know they're out there somewhere and I'm sure someone here knows where they are), but got distracted by this one because it's got lots of old Harrier and Lightning (EE, not LM) stuff. Takes a while to get to F-35, but right at the end there is a B landing whilst moving forward. Come to think of it, aircraft have been doing that for years, so it should be possible .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gUzJW71m6pw

Edited to add a quote from Engines...

Originally Posted by Engines
SRVL software - the aim of the programme was to use the existing flight control modes (and cockpit displays) as far as possible. Remember that SRVLs are a required manoeuvre for the USMC to short strips, and have been cleared for use in service. Work started on SRVL ship landing capability as far back as 2004, but the UK's indecision on F-35B/C procurement between 2010 and 2012 led to delays in the later stages of this work.

Last edited by Courtney Mil; 2nd Jun 2015 at 10:15. Reason: Add quote by Engines