PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wanky resumes
Thread: Wanky resumes
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2003, 11:54
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hungry_flygal

Am not an employer but have seen my fair share of cv's/resume's.
After a while of sorting the good from the bad I found myself leaning towards the following qualities:

A one page covering letter followed by a one page CV . The covering letter had the Cp's name rather than "sir or madam".

The most important thing was that the one page was uncluttered. People that tried to fit 3 million different details on the one page ended up in the bin. Why? It was taking me too long to find out if the person had the qualifications fore the job. The first thing I looked for on the CV was Total Time. Some people for some reason thought it best to either hide this or not include it!...in the bin.

From the top most good ones had.

Personal details- licences-ratings-hours-typesflown-employment history (brief)-education (brief)-referees.

Thats just my idea - other ppruners will have other ideas. An interesting thing that I found having to sort through the massive amount of applications was that I found that my own CV needed changes. When I first drew it up (looking for my first job) I thought it was great. I was biased and needed to have the above experience before I eliminated a lot of crap.

Other tips? Don't include your school marks or ATPL percentages.

Referee's? Don't include mates that are in airlines (captains,fo..). Don't include you uncle or mum. Have people that will have an unbiased point of view. Your old boss.... people who have supervised you...

Don't blow your own horn or suck up in your letter. Keep it simple and to the point. This is often a quality an employer will be looking for. The have not got the time to read every word of your life history.

Anyway the best of luck to you- hope this helps.