PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2015, 19:55
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Courtney

Sorry, my post clearly annoyed you. That was not my intention. I think everybody realises that the Yeovilton SRVL flying did not use an F135!

Moving on for those who may not be as familiar with FBW as you, I would point out that the handling characteristics of a FBW aircraft are those that are provided by the FBW system and not those of the aircraft’s aerodynamics. For example In circumstances where the Typhoon is longitudinally unstable aerodynamically it seems normally stable to the pilots thanks to the FBW.

So the SRVL pilots at Yeovilton were definitely looking at the chosen F35 ‘handling’ characteristics (pull the stick back to go up regardless of speed etc) but the software was dealing with Harrier aerodynamics. Mind you I guess at 70 odd kts there is not much V squared about so the different aerodynamics would not have been a huge deal.

Big rant coming about words used.

What does annoy me about this whole Shipboard Rolling Vertical Landing (SRVL) thing is that to the purist it is no such thing. An RVL is where you start from the hover and choose to step forward for the touchdown because of surface conditions. A Slow Landing (SL) is where you have to add wing lift to the vertical component of engine thrust in order to equal your weight. So these SRVLs are (will be) SSLs. Indeed when an RAE boffin introduced me to a new control system in 1954 he called it a Manoeuvre Demand system. How much more correct and informative than FBW.