PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Strike of the Falklands War
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2015, 19:45
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marcantilan,

Always fascinating to hear from you. No one doubts what a fantastic effort the Black Buck missions were, but the results and their lasting effects are less clear. The key questions that surround Black Buck to this day are:

1. Whether the Argentine military deduced that because an attack on Stanley was possible then so was an attack on the mainland?
2. Whether the Argentine military, having tracked a single attacking aircraft on radar thought a similar strike on mainland targets likely?
3. Whether the Argentine military decided as a result of Black Buck, vice runway length, logistics, weather and Naval Gunfire Support - not to base fast air at Stanley.
4. As a result of Black Buck, aircraft with the range to mount OCA or strike over the Falklands were held back in/ over the main land for QRA/DCA?

I have heard endless supposition and opinion (both confirming and denying) from various British sources but never the definitive Argentine answers. These may well exist and may well be well documented, but I have never managed to unearth them. Would you mind enlightening us? (I know we got close a few years ago!)

Thanks and best wishes.