PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 1st Jun 2015, 17:47

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
XV206 recovery

Doug,
Another fine tale!
1066 here still catching up. Story of my life. I'm up to Pg133, March this year so not too far to go. Not all you read in Air Clues is 100% true! Post 2633
When it came to the air test after the outer wing of 206 had been replaced there was much politicking way above my pay scale.
The South Atlantic was still regarded as an "operational command" and MOD PE, I think it was that then, had no direct authority down there.
However, there was a release to service for the normal Hercs with no MAROC and also one for 206 as the only one with MAROC but on both wingtips. There was no release to service for any Herc with only one MAROC pod.
For the reason above MODPE could not be tasked with going south to do the air test. Lyneham would have to do it! No idea whose decision that was.
I was on HCS and was chosen not for any air test expertise but no one knew if AAR would be required for the recovery to LYE. I was one of two QFIs on HCS who had AAR experience. In fact AAR was not required.
When I was given the air test schedule it was clear that parts of it were nothing like a normal post servicing air test. Eg timed rolls from 30 aob one way to 30 aob the other side, rudder fixed. All good TP stuff but took some concentration when you are more used to using rudder when applying bank.
Something I have never regretted was talking to the TP at Marshalls. We spoke on the phone and he invited me over to Cambridge for a chat. Student crew, "today we are going to Cambridge for a couple of NDBs and a full stop".
He looked through the schedule, gave advice on adjusting the order so that time was not wasted reconfiguring unnecessarily and then the best bit of advice. Watch that one! Timed roll as above at V2 with an outboard at flight idle. Rolling towards the dead engine and pod was somewhat quicker than the other way. Oh and work down to it. Don't start at V2!
We would have to signal the results back to UK and on the basis of the results a limited release would be issued for 2 or 3 sectors.
Off to Brize with chosen crew, BA747 to MPA. The unit TP from 1312 bit may have come from the fact that we did not stay at MPA but just like old times it was back to Stanley.
3 Aug 85 air test part 1 was cut short by No 3 losing oil and shut down.
I don't think it was an engine change, more likely a seal or union because
4 Aug 85 air test part 2 completed the schedule and yes TP at Marshalls was spot on! Send off results and wait for Authorisation signal.
6 Aug 85 set off for ASI and climbing out find that we had an issue with the starboard ext tank pumps. Both switched on, both ran but switch one off and both stop! Back to MPA to get sorted. Ask jumbo to delay departure with repair crew going home until we confirmed all was well. Arrive ASI jumbo crew fast asleep! Just over 5 years later I was flying BA747s. Back at LYE on 8 Aug via a n/s DKR. Never did find out who was DWC to take 206 onto CAM.
Sad to see the photo of the demise of 206. We had 206 & 178 on Red Flag in Oct 88, when 206 had not long since become pink. It was good but the shadow on the desert floor was always the give away.
Dougie and ksimboy are quite right re the pilot of 206. In any other circumstances it would have been an AFC or Queens Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air.