PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A 110 Sqdn Sycamore taking up 'A 5 Star' rank at Changi 1962
Old 1st Jun 2015, 14:45
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
I've just seen the last two posts regarding Eric Leyden. I served with him at Tern Hill when he was doing his QHI course, having returned to UK. Ironically, I think Dick Symons was on the same course.

I went off to Borneo and thence Hong Kong and our paths did not cross again.

In November 1970, Eric and Dick were with their students and a crewman when their Wessex helicopters collided on the airfield at Odiham.

If you get the chance Sallygirl2015, you should try to visit Odiham as just inside the station is the Support Helicopter Memorial. This comprises a central feature which looks like the rotors of a Merlin helicopter and around the base are a series of stone plinths, into which are laid bronze tablets with the names of SH personnel who have lost their lives. It was dedicated in about 2006 and is deliberately made to be easily capable of being moved,as there was a fear that Odiham was to be closed and the SH force sent to Yorkshire - a very smart move given that most of their peacetime trade is on Salisbury Plain!!!

Old Duffer