PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter and spring 2015 editions of 'Tech Log' magazine
Old 1st Jun 2015, 10:04
capitaine flam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Rigga

Thank you!

Firstly, I concur about Mr BCAR Section L being more than meets the eye.

Then next, M for maintenance management, I got it, thank you.

The European Military Aviation Requirements are an interesting area of development and the Military Aviation Authority is involved in this project. For an update of what is happening, the February 2015 issue of the AeroSpace magazine of the Royal Aeronautical Society featured an article entitled "Harmonising Airworthiness" as written by Air Vice-Marshall Martin Clark, Director Technical MAA. (I sat a few desks from him for a few months and he's a really nice chap actually, engineer of course.) If you are interested in this area, it is worth reading.

Lastly, since this discussion has turned out really interesting, I feel that for the benefit of foreign viewers and also new or would-be engineers (and anyone else for that matter), I would like to ensure all the acronyms which have been used so far in this thread are clarified. I notice you use a lot of acronyms and one of my biggest bugbear when I was new to MoD was the endless amount of acronyms used for everything and not even defined!! I imagine with so many years in the military you know what I mean.

This is the same with the aviation industry etc. so many acronyms and very often, it is a challenge to find out what they mean. I think it behooves the speaker/author to take care to define the words he uses or make sure they are clear so that the audience receives the message and understands it. I would prefer that viewers of this thread come away with having learned something or refreshed their mind, but not leave with confusions over the content of the posts just because of acronyms, particularly for students (I always keep young engineering students in mind).

Skybrary website has good definitions for most of these acronyms.

So here it is (by all means correct those which are wrong).

AARs - Additional Airworthiness Requirements
MAOs - Maintenance Approved Organisation Scheme (UK military)
DAOS - Design Approved Organisation Scheme (UK military)
CAP - Civil Aviation Publication (publications from the UK Civil Aviation Authority)
JARs - Joint Aviation Requirement(s), a precursor to EASA regs
EASA - European Aviation Safety Agency
LAE - Licensed aircraft engineer
MAA - Military Aviation Authority (UK)
NAA - National Aviation Authority (the aviation authority of a particular country)
14 CFR - 14 Code of Federal Regulations (US aerospace/aviation law based on their own legal numbering system)
JAA - Joint Aviation Authorities
IR(EC)2042/2003 - Implementing Rule (European Commission) 2042/2003 Note: this has now been replaced by IR(EC) 1321/2014.
MoD - Ministry of Defence (UK)
Def-Stan - UK Defence Standards (include standards for military aircraft design etc.)
FYI - For your info
CAA - Civil Aviation Authority
EMA(R) - European Military Airworthiness (Requirements) Note: See website of the European Defence Agency for full details.
MMOE - Maintenance Management Organisation Exposition
MOE - Maintenance Organisation Exposition
BCAR Section L - British Civil Airworthiness Requirements Section L, licensing requirements for UK maintenance engineers before the introduction of JAR-66 and then EASA Part-66 licenses. However this license is still in use for certain types of aircraft such as historic aircraft (see further posts below on this and thanks to input from Rigga and Nutloose)
LWTR - License Without Type Rating

Last edited by capitaine flam; 4th Jun 2015 at 12:34.