PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magneto calendar overhauls - the thin end of the wedge?
Old 1st Jun 2015, 10:00
Perspective

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Jab, that gave me a chuckle,

An excerpt from a CASA response,

"However, CAR 42V requires persons undertaking maintenance (including inspections) to do so in accordance with applicable maintenance data. CAR 2A(2)(c) defines such data to include instructions issued by manufacturers of aircraft, components and materials."

So,

2A Approved maintenance data
(1) Subject to subregulation (3), the approved maintenance data for an aircraft, aircraft component or aircraft material consists of the requirements, specifications and instructions that are:
(a) contained in the maintenance data set out in subregulation (2); and
(b) applicable to the maintenance of the aircraft, aircraft component or aircraft material, as the case requires.
(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1)(a), the maintenance data are:
(a) requirements in:
(i) regulations 42U, 42W, 42X, 42Y, 42Z and 42ZA or in instruments made under those regulations; and
(ii) directions (however described) made under an airworthiness directive or under regulation 25, 38 or 44;
being requirements that specify how maintenance on aircraft, aircraft components or aircraft materials is to be carried out; and
(b) specifications of how maintenance on an aircraft, aircraft component or aircraft material is to be carried out, in documents or designs approved under another provision of these Regulations; and
(c) instructions, issued by the manufacturers of aircraft, aircraft components or aircraft materials, that specify how maintenance on the aircraft, components or materials is to be carried out; and
(d) instructions, issued by the designers of modifications of aircraft or aircraft components, that specify how maintenance on the aircraft or components is to be carried out; and
(e) any other instructions, approved by CASA under subregulation (4) for the purposes of this paragraph, relating to how maintenance on aircraft, aircraft components or aircraft materials is to be carried out.

These are the Regs.
Where's the ambiguity.

My surveyers are who I answer to, they direct me to this, they enforce this,
They are my first port of call if doubt exists, if you have correspondence stating otherwise I'd love to see it.

Cheers