PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit Procedures
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2015, 08:10
Dont Hang Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am beginning to wonder if the bias for or against the OH join is simply a matter of your normal a/c type - high or low wing.

For me the descending, dead-side, continuous turn gives me maximum visibility for a leisurely assessment of the total airfield environment. That is why I like it, and I do not recognise Pace's "unnecessary 90 degree blind turns".

My very limited hours in a high wing have probably never included an OH join but I am all too aware of how horrendously the dropped wing blocks ones view in a typical Cessna. So I can see how such a joining technique may not seem nearly so nice for high wing types.

I've had ATC hold an airliner on the runway until I (making an OHJ) was clear of his take-off path. Would it be reasonable to hope/expect ATC to be aware of the performance of a "super-performing sports job" and take similar precautions?
I remember, when being taught the OH join, my instructor explained the 1500ft minimum at final runway crossing ensured you were still above the departing traffic "..unless its a departing 757 in which case it may be 1500ft above you by that point!"

However, commercial jets aside, I think it is beholden on departing aircraft at a GA airfield to be aware that the OH join is an accepted procedure and behave accordingly.