PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unserviceable seat
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2015, 07:21
Terry K Rumble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unserviceable seat

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Might I ask a brief question of you please.......

I recently flew back from Bangkok to Heathrow (with my favourite airline) however, when I took my seat I found that the cover from the headrest was hanging off and unsecurable, exposing all of the metal. The seat itself had collapsed, and I was sitting on the metal base plate and finally, and my TV didn't work!

I pointed out to the cabin staff the problem and after lots of apologies, the CSD came and looked at the situation and filled out a defect log herself, stating that it was wholly unacceptable, very sorry, no other seats blah but basically telling me that she would be writing a strong letter to Customer services about the problem on my behalf. And she did!

A couple of days ago I got a nice e mail apology and 5000 pts on my Avios card. When I spoke to my neighbour (also a hostess) she said, well that's OK but it's only worth about £30 Terry. (which kind od miffed me slightly!)

So, given that the cost of choosing (clearly the wrong) seat was £82 on top of the ticket price, I suggested to the airline that a sligtly better offer might be more appropriate....no joy.

When I further suggested that this wasn't the best way of looking after and executive club member, still no joy.

So, my question is this:

How bad does the seat have to be, coupled with no useable headrest along with no tele before an airline feels it worthy of some sort of sensible compensation ?