PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Coverage at Ballina
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2015, 04:07
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"what would a bloody Yank military and airline pilot know about flying in Australia anyway?".
Typical xenophobic, exceptionalist and generally biased ignorant remark I would expect ---- after all, the air is different in Australia.

And, the average John Q. Public actually believes it is Australia's superior aviation regulations and CASA that prevents Australian irresponsible, borderline suicidal pilots from "crashing" ---- ain't propaganda wonderful, given the reality of a very very ordinary Australian aviation safety record.

Perhaps, after so many years in Australia, Captain Woodward does know a little about Australian airspace management and its shortcomings, maybe that is why the Commonwealth Government hired him as an airspace management consultant to NAS.

Catseye,
Different Richard Woodward.

Cogwheel,
Well said.

If you don't like it, have the regs changed.
Midnight,
I did my level best to get the at the time Government policy for rational risk assessment and cost/benefit justification applied, as was theoretically mandatory, but public servants in general and CASA in particular systemically hate such cost discipline, because they imagine they all know better than the demonstrated facts --- all justified by the "mystique of aviation safety".

Load a union push to retain/increase jobs on top of all that, I couldn't beat it, and once such things go into place, it is even harder to amend, unless you have a Minister with real fire, no matter how wasteful and expensive the " safety regulations".

Aviation in general in Australia, and GA in particular is being not so slowly crushed by the cost of so called "safety regulation" in Australia, it is all very sad, when it could be so different.

The number of pilots coming in on 457 visas is one measure of where we are at!! Thanks, CASA.

Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 1st Jun 2015 at 04:25.