PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 1st Jun 2015, 03:20
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManaAdaSystem
I don't know all the different TCAS systems out there, but in my NG the TCAS does not know if I am flying at maximum altitude.
The manual clearly states that the TCAS may issue climb commands that exceeds the climb capability of the aircraft.
Thanks Manada. Obviously I can't speak for all aircraft but I wonder if there are two separate issues.

#1) Above a certain altitude, most modern aircraft have no TCAS climb RA's programmed into them(I'll call it a critical altitude).

#2) As that critical altitude is approached, aircraft performance obviously decreases and depending on aircraft weight and environmental conditions, the aircraft reaches a point where it cannot meet the required climb performance. This point will vary from flight to flight.

These are only guesses.

I flew a turboprop where on a hot day at max takeoff weight, we truly struggled to get to an altitude well below the altitude listed as maximum for Climb RA's on our aircraft.