PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2015, 22:44
Courtney Mil

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Engines
You'd be interested to know that for a typical air to air burst length, the Mauser puts more shells on target than the 25mm Gatling. All Gatlings take a while to get spun up). And the 25mm round, while very good, isn't as good as the 27mm. However, water under the bridge and all that.
On paper, you are right, Engines. I rarely take issue with you, but here we must disagree.

Firing the Mauser air-to-air or air-to-ground is a death ray. I have had consistently good results with it in the F-3. The high muzzle velocity, the stable barrel and the virtually instant start are all excellent features that make it that way.

I used the 20mm Gatling on the F-4 as a podded gun (a-a and a-g) and in the F-15 (a-a). Apart from the harmonisation issues on the F-4, they were, essentially the same weapon, but with an amazing aiming system in the Eagle. Against benign targets, allowing for a relatively short spin-up time, the Gatling is sufficiently accurate. Maybe not the death ray, but I could hit targets with it.

Now the differences.

1500 rounds per minute in a single stream, 260g projectile. 6000 rounds per minute, probably half that weight. I would need to put, maybe, 3 rounds through a target to hurt it with the Mauser, I would probably need 5 with the 20mm Gatling. Against a benign target, a dart or a flag, I would probably achieve the required number of hits very easily with the Mauser.

Against a manoeuvring target, when my aircraft isn't necessarily at the ideal speed or attacking position (as I would have from an academic, training set-up) things are very different. I may not be able to track the target. If I can, it may not be the ideal QWI firing solution. It may be a raking pass. It may be a very high angle-off or even close to head-on. Under those circumstances the death ray would be great only if I can point it at the target accurately enough and long enough to hit it - a few times. Distance between rounds becomes a much more significant factor. And that is where the 6000 rpm becomes such a dominant issue. And in that situation one doesn't need to wait until the sighting solution is perfect, rather one opens fire early so the spin-up time is no longer a factor.

Who would use a rifle to hit a flying bird? I would choose a shotgun.

On paper, yes, the Mauser looks good. And it is an excellent weapon. Given the choice in the less benign environment of combat ops, I would be very happy with the Gatling.

Differences in calibre. Yes, hence more hits required for the Gatling and remember I have been talking 20mm, not 25. I once stood in the Royal Ordinance Factory's test range and watched the difference between 30mm HE Aden Cannon rounds at 1200 rpm and the Vulcan cannon. The destructive power of the Aden was incredible. The move to 25mm closes that gap hugely, especially at the higher rate of fire.