PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 777 wrong weight inputs, off by 100 tonnes?
Old 31st May 2015, 22:20
Prober

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STAN

Re post No 15. Yes indeed, Stan has existed for many years but is not completely infallible. We had it on the old Vanguard freighter, the Merchantman (VC9). It had not been certified for the aircraft (IIRC), so had no limits attached but it did give a rough idea. I very nearly came unstuck but was saved by STAN. I have ALWAYS, from my days as a Second Officer to Senior Captain, done a rough gross error check. I believe its called "professionalism". In the case in point, the total weights were approx correct but, being the middle of the night in the middle of winter and considering that some cretin had kicked the plug out of the weighing machine's heater, it recorded all pallets as having the same weight. Coincidentally, the total was almost correct. However, the individual weights were at great variance and when, on doing the STAN reading whilst taxying out and the C of G reading was way out, as we came to a stop I could feel the aircraft trying to settle down on to its tail.
Thank you, STAN!

Last edited by Prober; 31st May 2015 at 22:23. Reason: Cogency