PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Fleet Order Speculation
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2015, 21:41
fearcampaign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you honestly believe that the one deciding factor in getting a new type rests solely on Flight Crew pay?

The FACT is that tech crew costs are about 1-4% max of the overall cost base.

Qantas will make a billion dollars this year WITH the LH award.

With the dollar dropping to a sensible level, fuel price falls > 50%, foreign competition retreating, yields increasing, international has turned the corner to profitability. 5000 back office jobs removed helps, as does 150 pilot VRs.

I'm not saying some efficiencies should Not be traded. Personally I think the A380 rate 5% above the 747 is not justified. The 4 eng fleets should have sacrificed so that the twin fleets pay be more acceptable.

Do you think Alan Joyce and the executive will give up pay, share options to get a new type? How about the other unions? Groundstaff, etc?

I understand pilots are spooked after a torrid few years of RINs, VR,accelerated losses,
However as most of us know that was a combination of wrong aircraft types being massively fuel inefficient compared to competitions. It's fuel that's 40% of the cost base, not pilot costs!

Those grim days for Long haul are thankfully over and we are back to profitability. That happens in business cycles. Thankfully the tailwinds are blowing for a change.

What we don't want to do is believe the Alan Joyce spin machine that getting a new type is all down to pilot costs.
Do you honestly believe in a possible downturn, we will get left alone next time because we have taken a 30-40% pay cut to help.

Rather than arguing amoungst fellow crew perhaps keep an eye on the profit announcement this August and the large bonuses paid to the executive.
Perhaps many are happy to fund Alan's bonus?
Someone showed me the other day on the ASX that Alan has been granted $40 MILLION in Qantas options, in addition to his pay.

Interesting times.