PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A10's to be sold on?
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2015, 19:42
Danny42C

Giant Warthogs

megan,

Your: "More robust Danny, not more reliable. The RAF removed the automatic boost control on the Mustangs...etc." Point taken ! But then, I believe the Spitfires were then built for an expected service life of six months, so it would make no sense to put in an engine designed to run forever.

And:

"These Merlins are putting out as much as 3,600 HP at 140 to 150". (Inches Hg?). But for how long?

On the "Gaining a RAF Pilot's Brevet...." Thread (Advt: currently in the doldrums on Page 2 of "Military Aviation") two of my old Posts may be of interest as relevant:

P.354/#7076: "Finally they overrode the ABC ("pressing THE Tit"), giving +9lb (say 48in) - IIRC - and sat back. It ran for 72 hours more before it blew up. Or so the story went". (These would be Merlin IIs and IIIs, '40 vintage, so a bit before the A-36's time)

P.157/#3131: "One of my (Mosquito) rides was a little too exciting for comfort. Half way down the runway on take-off, at full power, the auto boost limiter on the No. 2 failed. The sudden surge of extra power on that side swung the nose hard left just as we were leaving the ground, and although the vet pulled the offending engine back at once, we were left heading for the Fort, now far too close to dodge. It looked as if my short and not particularly glorious career was about to come to an abrupt end".

Happy days!

Danny42C

Last edited by Danny42C; 1st Jun 2015 at 00:31. Reason: Spacing.