PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Progressive lenses vs bifocals
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2015, 15:28
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm finding my progressive (or continuous) focus specs are working out well. I was a bit concerned at the concept because I've always liked to have 'perfect' refraction correction but, eventually, the convenience factor won me over. I did however spend a small fortune on high-index lenses with state-of-the-art distortion correction. The latter feature is important to me, particularly for reading iPADs, charts etc. I hate seeing rectangles as any other shape.

Noting my disposition to optical perfection my optometrist spent a long time geting the optical centres just right, and we did a few zonal specifications based on instrument panel distances etc. It's all worked out well although maybe making the 'reading' zone a tiny bit larger would have been an improvement for reading in bed. The only other limitation is some chromatic aberration at the extreme edge of the field, which I tolerate better than any shape distortion. My lenses are Hoya brand, and I was impressed with their quality control when the lab threw the first attempt away, recommending a slightly lower index material to properly match the optometrist's specification. As I recall there is some clever optics in which horizontal and vertical distortion is corrected on different lens surfaces.

Anyway, it works!