PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Coverage at Ballina
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2015, 07:29
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bloggs,
Difficult as it may be for you to comprehend, I am a former branch officer of the AFAP, and I have seen, up close and personal over the years, just how much damage ratbag union policies (not limited to the AFAP) have done to Australian aviation.

The history of the necessary formation of AIPA is the history of the ratbag policies of AFAP that simply ignored the real world of aviation technical development. It is simply impossible to estimate the cost to Australian aviation of the "Two Airline" policy and its "beneficiaries".

Indeed, the "regulations" that have resulted in Ballina (and elsewhere) now having unjustified on-airport fire services were put together by two "officers of the Dept. of Transport" who were ex-firies, and remained members of that union.

Any suggestion of rational risk analysis, and cost/benefit justification was bluntly rejected at the time, in favour of generating jobs for firies at the expense of the traveling public.

It remains a fact that there has never been an aviation accident on an airport/aerodrome in Australia, where the presence of on-airport ARFF has made any difference to the primary outcome.

A bit more union bashing in the interests of economic aviation jobs in Australia would be a damned good thing ---- but look at where we are going, with the likelihood of "cabotage" rights for foreign carriers above the Tropic of Capricorn, because of a perception of union resistance to change damaging tourism in particular, and business generally.

Not for one minute would I accept that such traffic rights are justified, but a perception has been generated, just like the perception that E airspace doesn't work.

As to Class D at Ballina, that is exactly what should be instituted at Ballina, a Class D tower, if the demonstrated traffic levels equal or exceed to establishment levels for a Class D tower.

As for the reported statements of Captain Richard Woodward, ex- NWA ( aka Lt. Colonel Richard Woodward, USAF Retired), of course they are not the words used in the air, that is a paraphrase of EXACTLY what goes on, in terms the public can understand. Do-it-yourself ATC.

Tootle pip!!