PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US3 v ME3 - 'The Economist' weighs in
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2015, 06:54
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on which point of view you are looking at the ME3 from.

As a passenger you are getting low fares, new aircraft and good service.

As a pilot you have career opportunities with these airlines which have undoubtedly grown the market. Compare the time to the left seat for a new joiner in EK vs Delta for example. However there are significant negatives such as the lack of union protection and employment laws.

As a western airline you have competition which you cannot match in terms of price and service. Your standards have declined over the years and suddenly your customers, who you have taken for granted are deserting you for a better and cheaper product.

As a western government you are keen to protect your local airlines but don't want to alienate the voters who want cheaper fares. Other industries have had to change with the times, some succeeded others didn't. Some sectors, particularly agriculture have tremendous lobbying power and have won significant protection and subsidies.

How much power should unions have ? Ideally more than the ME but less than the west were they can prevent change and ultimately send an industry broke.

When you take a cruise on Royal Caribbean the fares are low because third world wages are paid to the Philippinos working in the dining room, the Chinese cleaning the cabins and the Indians working below decks. Would you be prepared to pay the increased fares which would be needed to pay union rates to American workers ?