PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magneto calendar overhauls - the thin end of the wedge?
Old 31st May 2015, 03:21
Perspective

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Are you suggesting that the only way LAME shops are going to survive is by doing more unnecessary maintenance?"

Not at all, my point being, there is plenty of scope to carry out maintenance as its required without going over the top, so long as it stays within the bounds
Of the Reg's as they stand. The hours to incorporate the annuals etc haven't changed, but the overheads have increased massively. Hence the hourly rate
Has to change to keep the status quo.

What I do have a problem with, is data that showed historically, for instance vac pumps, on average failing around 600hrs, and having some advocate to not change them until they fail, cause you should be right on the backups etc!

I have a problem with the idea of maintained to failure. I also have a problem with over maintaining and owners being taken for a ride.
Take the proposed Prop AD that might revert to manufacturers periods.
Some say it's over the top, but what climate is the aircraft stored in, how is it used/abused, how much is it used, is it hangared, on a pad, on grass, everyone's experience is different, (SIDS accounts a little for this)component manufacturers have to set a time line to account for all variables obviously, I might think as it lives in wilcannia the calendar shouldn't count due to dry environment, but I still have to abide by the Reg's.
Forgetting the SB for a moment, In my experience, with what is found from time to time in mags for instance inspected on calendar time, it is worth doing.
I would prefer a major inspection style system implemented, but that's for another thread.