PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magneto calendar overhauls - the thin end of the wedge?
Old 31st May 2015, 01:14
Brainy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dhavillandpilot
When I imported my last aircraft into australia it had mags that had done 225 hours but was out of calendar under the TCM manual.

Naturally I had to have them overhauled so that the aircraft could be placed on the register. At the time I wasn't very happy.

In hindsight my attitude has now changed

So unlike most here who are complaining about their magnetos Which if it wasn't for the calendar requirement would have sat round for years before reaching the magic 500 hours I am happy to comply.

Just remember NO spark NO fly
Doing as you did makes a lot of sense if the aircraft has not been flying much. Would you be equally happy to overhaul every 4 years if you fly100 hours per year?

The issue is 'where is it mandated' that we must comply with an overhaul at 4 yrs as per the SB? The CASA document cited above states 'You are responsible for assessing each service bulletin to determine whether it should be followed or adopted'. They are NOT mandatory. ADs, and airworthiness limitations specified in the service manual are.
Therefore, if the aircraft maintenance manual does not dictate magneto overhaul at 4 yrs, and schedule 5 does not mandate that every SB be complied with, plus there is no AD mandating overhaul at 4 years, it would seem that we can continue to choose to remove, inspect and repair as necessary our magnetos at 500 hourly intervals as an alternative means of ensuring ongoing airworthiness. Am I wrong?