PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magneto calendar overhauls - the thin end of the wedge?
Old 30th May 2015, 23:44
Perspective

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing I think that seems to be obviously skimmed over Is the seemingly obvious acceptance of the 500Hr inspection to be carried out, but the same TCM SB643B also states "
C. In addition to the requirements listed above, magnetos must be overhauled or replaced at the expiration of five years since the date of original manufacture or last overhaul, or four years since the date the magneto was placed in service,

We don't have the liberty to pick and Choose.

A good little guide I have linked previously, with references to applicable regs and so on,

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset...-operators.pdf

"Remember also that under CAR 42V (1), because all maintenance is required to be carried out in accordance
with the applicable approved data, you must still consult the manufacturer’s maintenance manuals for the airframe, engine and propeller,"

CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS 1988 - SCHEDULE 5
2.6 In this Part:

" general maintenance inspection " means a regular inspection and check of a class B aircraft, its systems and components that:

(a) is required by the aircraft's maintenance schedule to be carried out at regular intervals.

Many times when having components inspected on calendar time the shop has found defects which left unchecked, at best might leave you stranded away from home, at worst...
But for the most part some owners aren't made intimately aware of all of the things we find on a day to day basis on the component side of things, a cursory look at the flight safety magazine major defect reports section might give you some insight,
Any insinuation that the components are pulled off only because it's of financial benefit to us is complete rubbish and insulting, especially when we pass on the o/haul price at cost and I stlll might wait up to a year to get paid!

"If you do not follow the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule, you should know why, and be able to explain your reasoning to an auditor or accident investigator."

CASA schedule 5 is a list of things to look at.
The manufacturers data tells you how to maintain the aircraft.

and contrary to popular belief we always try to carry out our tasks in the most cost effective way, and it's the hardest thing at times to take commercial pressures out of the decision making process.

I could ramble on, ultimately if I am aware of the Regs directing me to the manufacturers schedule, if I am aware of the SB's, AD's and so on,
For me to then knowingly ignore is negligence.
I am also acutely aware of CASA's intentions, requirements and what they expect of us to keep our CofA, because they make it plainly so in our Audits and whenever we see representatives.

Last edited by Perspective; 31st May 2015 at 00:18.