PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 30th May 2015, 19:54
Waterwings2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navy FATs

Hello everybody,

I hope this is the right place.

I'm applying to be a pilot (like everybody else), but for the Royal Navy, because I like my socks to be 80% seawater and I've made too many enemies at home. I have my FATs coming up fairly soon - I've been researching them since I got my dates, but I thought I'd post here because I have a few points I'd like advice on. I appreciate I'm not applying for the RAF right now but as far as I understand it the computer based aptitude tests are the same for all aircrew applicants regardless of service.

I've been practicing my mental maths, Speed/Distance/Time and fuel calculations and things ... actually I'm quite looking forward to actually doing the tests because then I can have a break from the endless SDT. I've had some official notes regarding the tests and what to expect, and I'll just have to see how I do - I just have a few queries.
1. There's a specific memory test where you have to remember up to 15 digits or something in 5 seconds. I've been trying this in all sorts of ways and I find that 11-12 is my absolute limit, and it's not perfect. How did everybody find this test and did they have a particular technique that worked?
2. I've heard different things from different people regarding this - is a fail in one particular test a fail overall? Or is the scoring system a first past the post kind of thing where your scores for each test are added up to give a final mark?
For instance, if some prat (let's say me) got good scores on the tests but failed a specific test (... some memory one, for example ...) - would that lead to an end-ex on the whole thing?
3. I understand that the Navy weights tests differently for Pilot/Observer/ATC - since these are joint tests sat by all aircrew candidates, is there a separate system to decide whether you've scored highly for Pilot, for example, and not reached the standard for Observer, or vice-versa? Are there specific 'Observer' tests, for example, or is it weighted differently?
4. A friend of mine who was selected for Observer said that the test where you have to answer questions on the antics of a ton of coloured spitfires was mainly guesswork for him... I understand the purpose of the tests, and that they're assessing aptitude in these areas for a reason, but is there a method pilots use to keep track of a whole canopy of aircraft all doing different things?
I understand the importance of preparation of maths and things - I think it just gives your brain more time to concentrate on everything else that's going on, but I guess in the end you're either suited or you're not. I recently passed some civvy aptitude tests, but irritatingly they neglected to provide any feedback at all apart from 'you've passed' so I have no idea if I aced them or scraped them .

I've wanted to fly Navy helicopters since I was about 4 so I'm really hoping for a good result. I've had the privilege of wearing a flying suit for a few years in a very junior part of the RAF, but unfortunately it's convinced me I want to be wearing one on weekdays too. I'm just trying to give myself the best possible opportunity to prove myself; I'm aware that with a rapidly shrinking fleet, the amount of aircrew required to drive Wildcats from the decks is diminishing to single digits.

Thanks so much for your help! Cheers

Last edited by Waterwings2; 31st May 2015 at 15:41. Reason: general prose