PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rogerson Kratos Huge Repair Cost – Again!
Old 30th May 2015, 17:52
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any electronics engineer worthy of the title, should be able to find the faulty component and , provided it's a standard component, change it.

There will now be a massive tirade about how safety-critical and rigorously-enforced quality-control is in "certified" equipment.

BULL and FLANNEL ! It's unreliable crap, but assembled from quality-assured, inadequately-specified components.

If the above was UNTRUE, there would not be this horrendous failure-rate.

I see an exploitative, immoral ripoff.....If I were Dick, I'd be having a GOOD electronics man to have a dekko and replace sub-optimal components with better-specified items......this will give A MUCH MORE RELIABLE AND SAFE
bit of kit....and, if you say nowt, who's to know?- unless your enhancement cascades another engineering failure to the forefront!
I have come across IC's where the ID has been deliberately sanded off and whole boards coated in black, opaque varnish in an attempt to conceal component- values.

For the non-electronic people.....all circuits are made from about 4 basic building-blocks....Resistors, capacitors, inductors and semiconductors.....
Integrated -circuits are simply collections of the above, encapsulated in one package... Manufacturers of products can , and do, have these "chips" custom-made for them, rather than using "off the shelf" stuff.....this ties their monopoly -supply of that chip unless someone sits down and reverse-engineers the circuit to ascertain the chip's function and if there is a "work-round.

My daughter actually designed some chips for the Large Hadron Collider.

in that case, they were custom -made (probably at vast expense!) and not much use to anyone who isn't detecting Quarks, Higgs Bosons and stuff

Commercial applications have much bigger production-runs and the price tumbles.

Average cost of ANY low-voltage standard component, varies from about 2p to £5....work it out! a couple of hundred components...say£100 the rest for the circuit-board, case and hardware.....say £50 for a display....the rest is admin, labour and PROFIT...oh, sorry, return on intellectual property.