PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magneto calendar overhauls - the thin end of the wedge?
Old 30th May 2015, 07:45
Brainy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel for you guys- I realise that you are basically threatened with litigation (or discipline) from CASA if you don't comply with the latest crusade. However, as the registered operator, it is my election to have the aircraft maintained under the CASA schedule, nobody else's. I'm responsible for the ongoing airworthiness of the aircraft, the shop is responsible for doing the work properly and assessing it as detailed in the schedule. I've read the notes pertaining to sched 5 and it doesn't say I have to comply with the manufacturer's schedules or SBs as best I can see.
From CAAP 42(b) 1: "When the Certificate of Registration holder elects to use the CASA Maintenance Schedule the election includes both the Daily and the Periodic Inspection Schedules".
"6.
Periodic Inspection Schedule
Limitations Section of the aeroplane’s maintenance manual and any special techniques required by the manufacturer or an Airworthiness Directive are required to be complied with. If it is clear from the terms of the manufacturer’s requirement that the manufacturer considers compliance is optional, then that requirement is optional"

Clearly they are hoping that the 'special techniques' is a catch-all phrase but it is pretty clumsy and definitions could be argued that it does not include standard overhaul of items. This is where I am unsure

Last edited by Brainy; 30th May 2015 at 08:00.