PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magneto calendar overhauls - the thin end of the wedge?
Old 30th May 2015, 04:49
Brainy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magneto calendar overhauls - the thin end of the wedge?

So, my maintenance provider is telling me that is a CASA requirement now that my magnetos (Bendix) are overhauled as per the manufacturer's suggested calendar interval of 4yrs (private category aircraft). Sounds like BS to me - CASA may be leaning on the maintenance providers to comply, but nowhere can I find the relevant AD and it certainly is not specified in the Airworthiness Limitations of the maintenance manual for the aircraft. CAAP 42(B) 1 specifies 'special techniques required by the manufacturer' are to be complied with, but a magneto overhaul doesn't sound like a 'special technique' to me. I can't find anything in schedule 5 (under which the aircraft is maintained). AD ENG 4 private category 'on condition' maintenance relates to the engine and components, of which a magneto is one.

I am happy with a 500 hour inspection period for each of my (4) magnetos, but where has this O/H 'requirement' come from, and where is it going to lead more importantly - the end of on-condition maintence of anything?

I'm inclined to politely decline until someone shows me the magneto AD that I am obviously missing. Am I reading this wrong - what has been the experience of others?

Last edited by Brainy; 30th May 2015 at 05:27.