PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 29th May 2015, 22:14

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Vulcan/Hercules AAR

Still catching up! Page 129
I may have got it wrong but I had the impression from the posts re the Vulcan tanker that the Vulcan was not on the scene as early as some indicated.
AAR training, 6 sorties in 4 days 18-21June 82 were always Victors flown by either OC Marham or the USAF exchange officer who was not allowed to go south to ASI. Everyone else on the Victors was at ASI. I was involved in the Airbridge until early 84 and never saw a Vulcan. Can't remember when the Herc tanker took over. I should have recorded what the tanker was and not just the number of contacts. Must have been late 82/early83. AA62 help please!

Slight thread drift. Re different aircraft having different handling characteristics.
Hastings CMk1a TG568, ex Colerne had been used for a glider snatch trial back in the dark ages. Unfortunately on one attempt the glider was still picketed! 568 must have been stretched and always needed more ballast than any of the other Mk1 Hastings to fly, especially to flare, like any of the others! And they were all heavy on the elevators at low speed.
HTC