PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter and spring 2015 editions of 'Tech Log' magazine
Old 29th May 2015, 22:00
Rigga

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi guys,
My apologies, I didn’t realise you were waiting!

You're right about the origin of the numbers.

The whole idea of the transition to a single Euro-Regulation was to align the (then) 17 different NAA systems into one and eliminate all those different National Type Certificates, each with their own separate requirements, across Europe making it cheaper for makers like Boeing and Airbus, etc to get their aircraft certified in one go. It was also seen as wise to align with, and if possible to improve on, the US 14 CFR system. However, even now the CAA sometimes dusts off "CAA Specs" or "AARs" to catch unsuspecting QAMs out.

So, in 1997/8, the UK transformed from CAP 360 to the new JAA regulations: JAR-OPS (-1 Aeroplanes and -3 Helicopters) and JAR-145.

CAP360 had two parts; first was the management of aircraft operations and the second was the maintenance agreement in which the responsibility for airworthiness rested with the maintenance organisation.

This agreement was carried through to JARs - but in JAR-OPS there was a 'sub-part M' in which part of CAP360 Pt2 (the management of the AMP) was contained although this remained a maintenance responsibility under the OPS regulation until the introduction of EASA Part M (now separated from JAR-OPS Subpart M) as issued in IR(EC)2042/2003 - 5 years after the intro of JAR-145 and JAR-66 Licences (who remembers them?)

Cos I'm an old git who doesn’t throw anything away, I still have copies of the CAA presentations on the changes and how to manage them, and the minimum we needed to do to remain legal over that transition.

The EASA regs aren’t perfect, but the (UK) civil translation of the words is totally different to the MoDs original (Def-Stan 05-130) MAOS/DAOS translation when reading the same words. I believe MoD tried to press the new regulations into their current practices rather then try to change their extant practices to accommodate the regulations. Even the guys who wrote the Def-Stan’s (ex-mil Consultants) couldn’t understand what MoD was doing to them!

I had a four year struggle trying to get MoD to see the light (mildly successful in areas that didn't matter) but gleefully left when I was offerend a proper job back in civvy street. Recently, I spoke to someone having exactly the same 'understanding' issues that I had three years ago!

FYI: State Aircraft (police aircraft) are still being held to CAP360 - even though it has not been amended since 1997 and was formally withdrawn in 1999!

CAA - Really on the Ball!