PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A10's to be sold on?
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2015, 21:04
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
All fair points KenV, though I'm not sure you can count wingtip stations for the CAS role - and, of course, the A-10 has 1,700 rounds of depleted uranium 30 mm to back up what's carried on the 11 hardpoints.

What you say about 'sensors, comm systems, datalinks and more' is all valid. The A-10 is no different from any other aircraft in service though - if you don't invest in it, it will drop-off the capability curve. The fact that Boeing is offering to modernise the platform for potential international operators shows that they at least see a future in the airframe.

The BONE (not heard it called that before) is a very different aircraft designed for a very different mission, though that doesn't detract from its CAS capabilities.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the USAF won't be able to do CAS without the A-10, I think the point is that they'll not be able to do it as well. Retiring the A-10 will be a retrograde move, notwithstanding the CAS-capabilities of other platforms in the inventory.

Last edited by melmothtw; 29th May 2015 at 21:24.