PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 777 wrong weight inputs, off by 100 tonnes?
Old 29th May 2015, 16:22
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THAT OLD CHESTNUT AGAIN?!

Avoid? Not in this case, though done every day by all FMS loading crews.

Trap? Not in this case, could be by structured ritual during loading.

Mitigate? Well done guys, you didn't scrape metal nor kill/physically injure anyone!

IIRC, Singapore Airways did the same by 100 tons a few years ago, (fuel?), in a 744 and scraped the tail so much that the ground engineers were surprised the APU stayed in place.

Lots of stuff re this topic in the Boeing Magazine since, but still someone somewhere tries it again.

A formal ritual involving both/all pilots present on the flight deck, sterile flight deck with no distractions from CC or ground staff, would help to stop this one dead. So would the practise of calculating, by brain, a gross error Vspeed, viz V2, from the CFP and annotating the CFP with it at the briefing stage, then comparing when finally loaded in the flight deck.

The 73NG used to come out with a very close last 2 digits of V2 @ flap 5 by subtracting 25 from the TOW within a knot or two. Of course these days there are too many variations on thrust reduction like derates plus TASS for takeoffs so this may not be valid any longer. But it certainly kept me and others out of the trees at screen height when I was operating.

There, that's my pennyworth of problem-solving. I look forwards now to the inevitable flood of widgets, gadgets and software mods proposed by all the wannabe aircraft engineers/pilots out there, knowing that even if such hardware/mods get approved for use, it will be years before they are incorporated in ALL 'frames.

Meantime we will read more stories of gut-wrenching moments as the next crew to do this realise they are going nowhere fast and may not miss the hard stickey uppy bits at the end of or beyond the stopway and a careers/lives are about to end.