PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need honest career advice
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2015, 11:49
johnappleseed123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need honest career advice

Hi,

I'm in my last year of high school in Australia. I need some advice and I want the honest truth from anyone who could help as I have lost hope in chasing the dream.

I've always been driven to be a pilot, ultimately flying for the airlines. However, through rigorous research I've discovered this is far from reality for a lot of people in my position so I have come to terms with just doing a degree and having a comfortable career. From research I realised it is difficult to be a successful pilot for a number of reasons such as a surplus of people like myself, for example too many pilots on their PPL or CPL looking for jobs, high cost of training, poor airline employment, tough economy in the industry right now.

My question is what is the state of aviation right now and will it stay that way? Also, if it is worth seeking a career as a pilot and what the chances are of landing a gig, as well as what kind of commitment I would have to be prepared for to make it happened. Finally, is it worth it?