PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 29th May 2015, 10:33
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So to the The Times this morning...

However, first off, I'm well aware that from time to time I've come off as anti MPA (OK, MMA) on this thread.

Frankly, nothing could be further from the truth.

I believe we need the capability as part of coherent maritime security strategy, and that has always been my stated position. Go look at my entire posting history if you wish (seriously, don't do that - it would be sad).

Where I have crossed swords with some maritime diehards (like wot I is) would be on the vexed subject of the possibility of ever finding the money to get this capability back - on which subject I have swayed between an unapologetic pessimist and a "perhaps-it-might-just-happen-others-might-know-better" sort of mindset.

So back to The Times...

And a quote from Paul Beaver...

...the MOD could delay the delivery of such aircraft as the A400M transport plane and the F-35 fighter jet, but this would be insufficient to cover the full £1 Billion [posters note - Osborne has instructed all departments except Health, Education and International Development to make savings at around 5% - which is, I guess, around £1 Billion for defence]...[Back to Beaver]...the only way to find the full savings is to stop doing things.
So there you have it...the unsquareable circle.

We want an old capability restored; the MOD could be facing binning more stuff.

Discuss.