PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 787 integer overflow bug
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2015, 02:01
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msbbarratt
Perhaps, but when did you last hear one say "I know, I'll do this control system as a synchronous state machine"? Not once in the last 20 years I bet.
As I've stated many times, I don't work in real-time systems myself (Software Engineering is a job for me, not a calling), so it's unlikely that I'd be hearing it in the work environment. But I only graduated 14 years ago, and I still remember what a finite state machine is, and with a bit of revision could probably explain the difference between an NFA and a DFA.

The best ones get the highest paid jobs.
Not true based on the experiences of people that I know. For one thing, the kind of personality which tends to occur in those who have an innate talent for low-level bit-flipping doesn't usually lend itself to the corporate politics involved in climbing the career ladder.

And, actually, the best ones know that the most expensive part of building a safety critical system is passing certification.
OK, but a lot of the B787's systems were self-certified, so how does that fit the pattern?

So what's that got to do with the control of a generator? It's still all about monitoring.
Right - it's all about monitoring. Presumably (and this is marginally-educated guesswork on my part), the failsafe mode exists for when the monitoring software detects a problem in the unit. The counter presumably exists in order to timestamp the monitoring operations as they happen. Prudent engineering practise would also likely have any unknown error conditions cause the unit to enter failsafe mode because it's better to be safe than sorry. Therefore the signal to enter failsafe mode would come from the monitoring system, and the counter overflow - being an unexpected error condition - would cause the monitoring system to do so. So even if the control system was implemented in hardware, it wouldn't alter the situation.