PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA8 Endo in Brisbane
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2015, 22:51
Lumps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah the later models do not have that in the POH, as they have a 'gate' that limits RPM to 2500 for take off.

Going through the gate is labelled EMERGENCY. Snort. 2700rpm in an IO-540-K, hardly an emergency.

Jaba - I recall that the difference in peak pressure's etc didn't shift a huge amount from 27to2500 RPM? The effect is there and noticeable, but all in all not a big one, when looking at actual ICP/CHT numbers? Over a year since I did the APS course so some things are starting to fade...

I will give full credit to Lycoming and GA for this though, at 2500rpm and 29" the thing is flowing 100 litres per hour (275hp). And that is how it comes out of the factory.

As compared to the 89 lph advocated by the A36 AFM (IO550) for same power setting:

Another thing for any other GA8 drivers, seeing as this thread has slowly, and thankfully, morphed into something else - if you only have the factory analogue tacho get a TrueTac or similar and verify it is telling the truth. We installed a JPI and found that it was under reading by over 100rpm. This is on a new aircraft! Also, the error is non-linear - as in at lowish RPM there is negligible error, but grows with increasing RPM. It needs to be checked in flight! (preferably)

It meant we were getting 2600+ on take off. Perfect! Only problem here is if you go through the gate and leave it there you may be running it at over 2800rpm, and you may want to check Lycoming SB.369I

Last edited by Lumps; 28th May 2015 at 23:27. Reason: clarifications on last bit