PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2015, 16:41
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO,

Much as I am reluctant to get into a 'figures slanging' match with you, I think i have to pick you up on a couple of points:

1. CTOL wingspan was not dictated by parking on the Wasp. Nor, for that matter, was the STOVL wingspan.

2. Invincible class lift (not elevator, LIFT) size had absolutely no effect on design of any of the F-35 variants. Certainly not overall length. There was never an endorsed requirement for the F-35B to go down the lift. It was considered, but never included as a formal requirement.

3. Yep, the landing spots are being carefully checked for any damage, as this set of trials allows much more demanding conditions to be applied to the 'Thermion' coating. It's precisely what I'd expect to happen. It's normal trials activity. Honest.

4. The F-35B isn't carrying 'deadweight'. It's carrying the kit required to conduct STOVL ops, which is kind of the point of the F-35B. For completeness, perhaps you need to look at the weight delta (or 'deadweight'?) required to get the F-35C to carry out CATOBAR ops.

5. I expect that Marine CONOPS make sense to them and also to the USN. And the US Joint Chiefs of Staff who will have signed off on them. I know you won't agree with them, but honestly, I'll go with their judgement for now.

So, in around 13 days, 98 flights and 73 flying hours, from 6 jets. From a small deck and a tiny hangar. Not bad going, in my book. But then, I'd expect you to disagree. Please do - open forums and all that.

Best Regards as ever to all those actually doing the work for real,

Engines

Last edited by Engines; 28th May 2015 at 16:42. Reason: Corrections