PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2015, 15:08
glad rag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sandiego89
Uhh rag, are you sure you want to cite space X landing trials on their barge a comparative success?

In my book I would not call THREE recent "crashes" as "almost there". I do allow it is not an easy task.

I especially like this gem on the social media PR spin after that last failure: SpaceX Crash-Landed a Rocket on a Drone Barge (Again)

"Looks like Falcon landed fine, but excess lateral velocity caused it to tip over post landing". In the old days that would be a crash......
Oh dear, obviously my post was FAR to subtle for you sd, far too subtle...[12 months ns 13 yrs]...

IIRC The last one fell over because it overstressed one leg [first] then over it went, the control system was operating correctly right up to the point the rocket motor ramped up for touchdown then the correction rate of the nozzle slowed right down and could not react in time...[perhaps the fuel is used to drive the nozzle, sudden demand from engine leads to drop in flow/pressure across other parts of the system?? Or loss of hyd pump pressure due to fuel being the hyd pump's prime driver??? pure speculation on my part btw]