PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avionics engineers seem rarer than plumbers...
Old 28th May 2015, 08:32
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airpolice, no system is perfect. The CAA approved a report which lead to the removal of overflight restrictions for permit aircraft. The report covered 20 years of accidents and showed that LAA permit machines were marginally better than CofA.

I am currently working on a permit 4 seater which only recently transferred from cofa to permit. Some of the systems have not bean looked at for 10 years plus. I guess the man in a rush was under too much commercial pressure to do a full job. It took us 4.5 man days to sort the port brake out. We have now installed mode s, 8.33, an EFIS, upgraded the dynamo to an alternator, sorted out a lot of bad wiaring. Still have to put in a USB charging port and an engine monitor but that can be done when the weather is bad. The spats are currently in my workshop. The previous "engineer" had used self tapers - will take several days to sort them out to a good standard. None of this work would have been economic under certified rules. The type (DR1050) is currently being tested for its suitability for IFR. I plan to fly her round Europe next year.

Rod1