PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 6
Thread: Aer Lingus - 6
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2015, 22:46
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would BA cut LHR-DUB? This is not about LHR slots, BA has more than it can handle with the takeover and closing of BD, hence the increase in its shorthaul holiday routes from there. AFAIK, this is because of a current shortage of suitable aircraft which, once resolved, should see the commencement of new BA longhaul routes.

Because of the shortage of rwy capacity at LHR, more UK airports are connected to AMS and DUB than to LHR, and consequently, EI and KL take a great deal of transfer pax that, given sufficient LHR rwy capacity and therefore sufficient links to smaller UK airports, could be BA’s.

Buying EI gives IAG an opportunity to grab some of this transfer traffic. Equally important, it prevents another carrier from doing so.

That is what IAG ownership of EI is really about, it’s not BD reheated.
Fairdealfrank,
My point is that IAG can give assurances about lhr dub for Ei but they could cut it. You ask why would they? If the same number of passengers can be transported with less rotations spread equally across the day that better for the group. The shortage of slots would make 8 slots attractive as new long haul aircraft come on stream.

Iberia exited BCN LHR, and the 2 airlines consolidated their operations on the route... Granted Iberia were moving their focus to Madrid.

I'd Not like to see BA leaving dub lhr route but I'm simply saying that there is do much talk of securing the ei slots for Ireland, that there were never assurances sought about BA's rotations ex DUB to LHR...