PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Furniture into storage
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2015, 15:48
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Ahh, yes. Head Office staff. In a move a couple of years ago from Germany, we were advised that the Truck would be with us as soon as they dropped off some packing materials 'round the corner' in Paderborne. I then pointed out - rather politely for me - that they may wish to consult an atlas or a GPS; we lived a good 8 hours away at an ISODET.

AN UPDATE

After a few phone calls, another assessor visited and confirmed to our friends that, on this occasion, garden furniture wouldbe allowed in storage, but that this was a favour and very much at the discretion of the storage company. No decision on the lawn mower!

Again, this all sounds trivial, but those who have been sent abroad know how stressful a move can be - housing, schools, cars, jobs - all being juggled simultaneously, and what is not needed are further buggerance factors that, at best, are arbitrary. Those who know me (or do so from my posts) know that in addition to Ops, we have lived in 4 different overseas locations; with two being decidedly non-benign, with my current location requiring daily use of a CAV. However, peacetime UK rules are rigidly applied meaning that, technically, I cannot commute from the residence to work in a CAV, as it should only be used for official transport. In spite of my wife and I receiving very expensive (and fun) training in use of said vehicles, we have to use our soft-skinned estate for commuting. I just hope the terrorists only work office hours! If anyone doubts the risk, Google Brigadier Saunders...not that I'm in Greece.