PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 27th May 2015, 11:10
gopher01

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Grand Canyon Arrivals

Back in the days of Buccs at Nellis we were on a support resupply for Wet Rag and Captain says to crew how about we cancel flight plan and go VFR to Nellis ,this followed by round of applause all round. No sooner done than chat carried out with ATC somewhere to get clearance for flight down the canyon and I mean down the canyon, very scenic and impressive, even more so for the light aircraft coming the other way some fair height below us as this big green machine comes round the corner going the other way! In the end we popped out of the canyon and legged it to Nellis.

Another Red Flag linked occasion was when I was the RAF Det at Scott AFB to cover any Red Flag resupply that couldn't make Gander direct and would drop in for a splash and a dash as Formula I would put it. On entering base Ops for the first time I was having a chat as you do and this lady came up to me and asked me if I knew Chalky White, a G/E who was one of the originals and was in fact still around when I started as a G/E as he was a very good friend of hers! If you knew Chalky a less likely bloke to have " good friends " down route you would think but the same thing happened to me twice more when I was there.