PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter and spring 2015 editions of 'Tech Log' magazine
Old 26th May 2015, 22:22
Rigga

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I suppose the point of these articles is to explain the regulations in English (British) and not English (Euro-Legal).
As for us older guys? It can be true to some extent that we knew what has changed from CAA CAP360 to JAR-145 to EASA Part 145 and moving to the introduction of EASA Part M - which moved responsibility for the condition of an aircraft from the maintainers to the owners. (Do you know why Part M is Part 'M' and not a number?)
The trouble was that those on the shop floor were not actually involved in any tangible change of responsibility - their jobs didn't actually change much more than the certifying paperwork.
But in military maintenance and military manufacturing companies, they were used to being 'in charge' of their versions of airworthiness. MAOS stripped maintainers of that responsibility and gave it to the fleet operators and their Heads of Sheds rather than the fleet maintainers. I actually suggested that the Duty Holder post was moved from Group Captain to Air Ranks because the Groupies were only budget holders and not budget owners.
By the same means, DAOS split design services away from MAOS technical services (done by the same people until I did my presentation).

Even in civvy street many LAEs still cannot grasp that they are not the owners of the aircrafts overall status.

The main difference for the Bus fleet is that the driver is not the owner and there may be a management board to make maintenance policies and decisions.