PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ullswater Lake Maule pilot not guilty
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2015, 12:14
SpannerInTheWerks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if I'd had the opportunity to waterski it I would not have done so because I don't have sufficient skill (or courage)
Flying light aircraft, privately, in the UK is not about 'courage'. In common with aviation in general it should be about common sense, adhering to aviation law, maintaining flight safety and setting a good example to those around you - NOT just what you fancy doing!

Great remark from a 'lawyer' - NOT!

In our modern, risk averse, over regulated, nanny-state world, I have more than a passing admiration for people who push the boundaries and are prepared to take risks - provided, of course, that they risk only their own lives and/or that of a voluntary informed passenger. Probably my rebellious streak which I've had to keep in check. In a world of ubiquitous phone cameras, the old adage of 'Do it once and don't go back' is sometimes even more important than it used to be.
Scenario for the Flying 'Lawyer':

My client apologises your Honour for his reckless driving, although it was at night on an empty motorway, and appreciates he attained speeds in excess of 140 mph, but he didn't hurt anyone - and, to be honest, in this risk averse, over regulated, nanny-state world, I have more than a passing admiration for people who push the boundaries and are prepared to take risks - provided, of course, that they risk only their own lives and/or that of a voluntary informed passenger.

As I said I give up!