PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to Waste Money - $140 English Tests
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2015, 12:01
ramble on

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Here is my story.

When I started flying in Australia in 1980 it was a a prerequisite to even getting a Student Pilot Licence that any applicant be able to read and speak english. You didnt get issued a licence to even start flying lessons without meeting that requirement fullstop.

Fast forward 30 years and I now have CASA, FAA and JAA (EASA) ATPLs - all exams completed to ATPL level in english.

ICAO introduced the requirement for aviation english standards because of the dangerous situations caused by more widespread global operation of poor english speaking pilots (and ATC) causing accidents through misunderstandings (eg: the collisions over India, the Swiss/German border, and the runways in Tenerife and Paris) - fair enough. Operate through China, Russia or France anytime to see why its a good idea that everyone speaks a common language.

But the practicality demonstrated by various authorities in dealing with this new hoop to jump through was plain to see.

The FAA just automatically reissued my FAA ATP with ICAO English Level 4.

Not CASA or EASA though. CASA $ and travel to a local flying school..... EASA $$$ and travel to the UK!

Yet again idiotic impractical bloody mindedness by these authorities but good for me because it took my english swearing ability to a whole new level.

Last edited by ramble on; 26th May 2015 at 12:58.