PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Furniture into storage
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2015, 07:46
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
We stored teak garden furniture and a petrol lawn mower amongst other things.
As did we in two previous tours; not the case now, it seems (and the contract is quite specific).

Sniggering at this thread to be honest. In the hard faced first past the post world post-armed forces world we are now inhabiting, I strongly suggest you smash the teak garden furniture to pieces, get pissed up, have a bonfire with it in the garden and then piss all over it to put it out! You'll attract more interest, even sympathy.
HS - it's not about teak furniture. It is about an arbitrary decision to exclude some possessions from storage and that even more impediments have been put in the way of serving overseas. Try explaining that to spouses who have to give up good jobs, in the certainty they can't work at Post - and that a selection of their treasured possessions either can't be put in storage, sent to Post, or will be damaged/lost in transit (clearly you haven't had to explain that to an angry partner)

However, it is now impossible to find out who made that decision
The only way, apparently, is to put casework up to PACCC in Glasgow (a 6 week turnaround...) as the SP is currently overseas in a tasty part of the world. The Support Unit is prepared to forward a case, but as it is a contractual matter...

Do you have any idea how much the RAF is struggling to get people to go overseas? Why do you think they came up with that pathetic attempt at improving the offer? No one really wants to go any more as the whole things costs too much and your attitude compounds that sentiment.
I quite agree. I've welcomed the 6 School Children's Visits pa that we get, but apart from a slightly improved Disturbance Grant (up to the value it was almost 20 years ago) there's little in the package that serves as an inducement, especially in Hardship posts, where we are. Careerwise, I've gone past caring, but the bottom line is, if you want to get promoted, avoid overseas tours. A civilian reporting chain does a service person no favours, regretfully. Remembering Gilbert and Sullivan:
Stay close to your desk and never go to see
and you'll be the ruler of the Queen's Navy
And let's not mention the how partners' careers are damaged (and the huge loss of income).