PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Un-necessary steep climbouts
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2015, 20:04
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..seems to me that it is satisfying after takeoff to climb out at max power....if you have power to spare! Except they have these daft rules in the Uk of the overhead join! so just when my Supercub 150 is reaching circuit height when halfway along the runway heading, I remember that o dear me, there may be some numptie doing the overhead join and we will meet and make a mess on the runway....So nose down and behave, Mary! and sure enough, the other guy tools across just overhead. But it is so nice to have that grand power to weight ratio that the takeoff vertical performance (without a gider on tow behind you) resembles the flight path of a large military helicopter....

Another exercise, doing a beatup of the launchpoint in a low performance K8 glider, now that is rather fun, because on pulling out of the dive, you run out of energy quite soon and must recover and land....

I felt quite comfortable doing it because I had practiced the maneuver at 1,200 feet, after the winch launch, and knew exactly when the dear old K8 would need to stagger over the top and head for mother earth. What keeps this sort of foolery relatively safe, is of course no engine to stop, only the same dive, pull up and over of a tidy chandelle.

One has to be comfortable doing these maneuvers; in order to deal with launch failures, and other problems. So much more freedom flying gliders, and in the gliding environment. Makes you feel sad for the rest, flying power and pretending to be airliners and having to talk on radio to advise others of your intentions.....