PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2015, 19:04
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its sad that it seems that some, whose main duty was concerned with operating air conditioned aircraft around routes, often tropical in nature, believe that their own "immaculate" turnout could be maintained by personnel employed on heavy, physical work, in environments not conducive to such activity. I well remember my first overseas tour at Akrotiri, being issued with the "cardboard" KD of AA62s memory, and having the crotch rub, armpit sores etc as a result of attempting to be an airframe fitter whilst wearing it. Luckily, our resident bosses let practicality overcome the prejudices of visitors, who rarely underwent the discomfort. A walk from the exit steps to the crew bus is hardly "physical" effort. I would also argue, having done many deployments in both mainland USA and in concert with American forces, that they, like us, would get comfortable when necessary. I asked how in WW2, in Danny's experience, uniform requirements were adapted to suit the climate. Thanks for your insights Danny, I doubt though that an opportunity to snipe at "the groundcrew" is relevant.

Perhaps this is the smart US dress we should have been following;

Smudge