PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter and spring 2015 editions of 'Tech Log' magazine
Old 25th May 2015, 16:50
capitaine flam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter and spring 2015 editions of 'Tech Log' magazine

Dear Fellow and Lady Engineers

In 2014, I wrote an educational paper intended to explain to the layman (i.e. someone with no prior knowledge of EASA continuing airworthiness aviation regulation) the basics of EASA regulations concerning Part-M, Part-145, Part-66 and Part-147. This occurred shortly after carrying out a Part-66 training standards survey on Pprune which so many Pprune engineers responded to (thanks!).

This paper, in an abridged version, was published in two parts in the winter and spring 2015 editions of ‘Tech Log’, the quarterly magazine of the Association of Licensed Aircraft Engineers. It is the product of a particular experience I had working with an operator when it became apparent that the majority of individuals working in that operator’s Continuing Airworthiness Management Organisation together with some individuals in its Part-145 organisation did not understand the difference between Part-M and Part-145 and were generally confused about regulations. Most of the individuals were not aircraft maintenance engineers, but admin staff and engineers other than maintenance. Being confused about EASA regulations is quite understandable, and this helped to clarify the confusion in a straight forward manner.

The above is part of a larger research project I am developing and working on as I have a particular interest in engineering training and how to communicate complex concepts (such as law) in a simple manner so that EVERYONE can understand, not just a select few. This activity forms part of the requirements I have set myself to achieve professional engineering chartership. The aim is to publish on-line a number of papers, articles and study aids, completely free of charge, to help the maintenance engineer or the would-be maintenance engineering student. My target for this is approximately 2 years’ time as I work on this project outside my working week job at the Ministry of Defence and on top of raising a family.

If you know of a particular area of the 1321/2014 regulations (was 2042/2003) which seems to always create conflicts between the engineers and management, or which seems to create confusions and misunderstandings, I would be really interested to hear what the query/confusion is so that I may attempt to create a document which would clarify the matter and communicate it in a simple manner. Please keep in mind that I do this in my own time outside working hours and that it may take some time to come back to you: but I will always reply to emails. Moreover, rest assured that your name will never be used and you will remain anonymous. I will only use the actual regulation clarification which resulted from your query.

For a copy of the unabridged paper, which has a comprehensive glossary at the end, or if you would like me to look into clarification of particular confusing regulations, please email me at [email protected] and I will send you an electronic copy.

Any feedback on this educational paper would be greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer: The above represents my personal views and activities and not those of the UK Ministry of Defence who happens to also be my employer. The above work is my work as a professional engineer.