PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2015, 07:11
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That the RAF groundcrew always looked scruffy especially in warmer climes was a direct reflection of the crap working kit we were issued with. 'Cardboard ' KD', no lightweight overalls and often no real way of laundering the kit.
When I was in Fighter Command we did not even own the working overalls we were required to use. They were issued weekly on an exchange basis and if you were mates with the storeman or first in the queue you MIGHT get a set that were an approximate fit. And if it was your lucky day they could even be clean !
When I went aircrew we were issued with cardboard KD. This was uncomfortable to wear and never looked smart. Of course as soon as we could most would get some decent KD from Singapore or Hong Kong.
When I was on Hastings one of our Air Engs was mistaken for a porter at Lisbon airport when wearing his issue KD ! This incident ended up as a letter to Air Clues I believe but no improvement in kit was forthcoming.
On 48 at Changi we wore the usual Nomex flying overalls which were not ideal for that climate. The lucky ones would obtain an RAAF flying siut which was more comfortable in the heat and humidity.
And what was the nickname for the standard RAF flying overall ? 'Growbag' in my day. Says it all I think.