PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa: random medication tests for pilots
Old 24th May 2015, 22:43
DeafOldFart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some forty years ago, I was employed in an engineering firm making stainless steel components for various high tech applications. The job was exceedingly demanding. I had a minor illness that reduced my stamina, and things got very difficult.
My doctor prescribed me something to ease the pressure.... not realising I flew light aircraft. Seems I was expected to stay at home and relax under the influence of a hypnotic drug.
Going back to work before I was ready resulted in a serious argument with the workshop manager! ,
So, emotional turmoil, leave work to fume somewhere else...
Pity the flying club was at the other end of the runway to the factory, pity someone suggested it was a nice day to fly!
After watching someone else in my skin flying along a road, there followed an interesting time returning to normality.
Make sure your doctor knows you fly... make sure you understand the effects of the medication!
Like going to the pub in the car, hand the keys over before the second drink!
CAA medical branch eventually relented, but there was a 25 year gap in my solo flying....
I imagine that a stressful cockpit environment is bearable when shared, and another person is around to monitor, and be monitored.
Solitude allows the mind to wander into dangerous areas!
If in doubt, stay in bed....