PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa: random medication tests for pilots
Old 24th May 2015, 18:48
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am actually constantly surprised that there is no mandatory random testing. Both the military and the oil industry do random drug and alcohol testing.
Ok so test the flight deck, but then you have to test line maintenance who can do every bit as much damage if they want, ofh and while we are about it test the heavy maintenance guys too, err and all the inspections people, and, well the trolley dolls might be tempted to put sleeping pills in the flight deck coffee so better test them too , oh and the Board might overlook testing for a vital area of safety so lets test them too.
We've had random drug and alcohol testing for pilots in the U.S. for a couple of decades now. And, maintenance workers and flight attendants are randomly tested as well. But not management...

Sadly, or fortunately (I can understand both viewpoints) someone seems to test positive a couple of times a year where I work. Many of these cases are handled quietly, often with a forced resignation or early retirement. These few random testing cases are in addition to the episodes where people are tested for cause or suspicion after, for example, security notices ETOH on their breath.

Here's some information from the Department of Transportation which oversees the FAA's testing program:

Office of Drug & Alcohol Policy & Compliance | Department of Transportation

I am a UK ATPL who currently takes daily SSRI Medication; I fly for a small/medium sized UK based operator with the full knowledge of my Flt.Ops/HR Dept, local AME and CAA AeMC at LGW. I attend a relaxed, informal consultation at LGW every 6 months to update my condition. My only restriction is an OML, Multi-Crew Operations only.
The FAA will now consider a Special Issuance Medical Certificate with the use of four specific SSRI's:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...tidepressants/